Sunday, December 7, 2008

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon (SCSM) 2008


well, went for the SCSM yesterday along with Qiplek and Rone. race started at 0530hrs near the Fullerton. it was no easy feat as we had to run/jog/walk for 42.195km, ending at the front of the Supreme Court and the Padang.

the three of us did pretty well at the first 10km. and we saw the Kenyans twice. once even before we were at the 1km mark, where they were already running down the 5km mark. the second time when we were entering East Coast Park (ECP), where they had around a kilometre left to the exit of the park. back to us, we had stops along the ECP stretch. that was when all the troubles started, well it was me actually. the lactic acid started to build up really fast around my quadriceps and my knee was also beginning to fail on me. so i stopped on many occasions to either walk or stretch. then it was Plek's turn to cramp. and after DRINKS STATION 16 was Rone's turn. apparently Mr Invincible has his crampy times too. his was more serious, swelling of the right quadriceps. but we managed to pull through the whole race, pretty much walking from Mountbatten Road onwards, and sprinting at the last stretch. i came in first, Rone and Plek 1second and 11 seconds behind, respectively.

my overall thoughts of the race. it was my FIRST time running a marathon, or anything this long. i was a burden to the other 2. i could feel that they wanted to go ahead, but they stuck on with me despite all the stops. i felt really guilty, holding them back. and i told myself that if i'm going to run a marathon the next time, i'll do it alone. unless i've got the ability to do it well.

whatever the results, we've completed it. we've got our medals. we've got our finisher shirt. $65 dollars worth of shit, 42.195km and 6hrs 47min 6sec long of nonsense. THANKS STANDARD CHARTERED! and to those who felt i'll never finish the full marathon, I JUST DID. and to those who are thinking right now that my timing suck, i'll like to see you try it and share your FIRST TIME experience with me. thanks!

now my legs are falling apart. my traps are aching like CRAP.


Bib No. 21785; Terence Toh Jiawei

Finisher shirt and medal!

One happy (aching) finisher!

No comments: